Thursday, 6 April 2017

The Hydro Majestic


In the Blue Mountains that form a natural boundary to the west of Sydney, there is a historic hotel called the Hydro Majestic. It's beautiful and has been revamped. There's glass walled cafe and gourmet goodies and trinket shop in the new section to one side where you can stop for overpriced nibbles and see the view. The original building way down the other end that looks like a little castle is now hidden from the road by giant hedges. Go figure!


The original building way down the end.


The new glassed in extension holds a bar and a gourmet food and gift shop.



It is quite a view though, isn't it? Anyway we went inside to have a look at how it's all been revamped. The big dining area that was cafeteria style in the past is now off limits unless you are guests or are there for a full meal. I have good memories of drinking amazing hot chocolate on the freezing cold balcony before driving back to Sydney in days gone by when it was casual and truly shabby chic. Now it's all historic glamour and I guess they don't want to let the riff raff in. I understand that but I sort of miss just being able to walk in for a while to reacquaint myself with the mountains. There are tea rooms and even a tea house but it isn't the same!


We explored what we could and ended up in 'Cat Alley' a corridor full of gorgeous 20's style furnishings and the scent of all sorts of exotic tea, which you can order and have there.


I couldn't resist a shiny table reflection.


I also couldn't resist taking a shot showing the view from the windows.


Have a good weekend,
Val.

A note: I've put up then taken down a few posts lately, having a existential crisis in regard to whether my photography is any good or not, technical enough, creative enough. I was feeling a lack of confidence after having good shots heavily criticized by experts at photo club. I know that's what they are there to do but sometimes it was done in a very non constructive way and felt horrid, hence the moment of 'what do I have to offer?' But I do have something to share, what I see with my eyes, so from now on I'll just post my work and own it because documenting it gave me joy and because I hope it's of interest to you.



19 comments:

  1. I stopped at the Hydro when I was driving to Katoomba..... what a beautiful spot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure is, that's why it was the Sydney region's first spas..

      Delete
  2. Am glad you're over your existential crisis, and decided to enjoy your photography:):) Love the red and blue interior - these are colors I often use in my paintings.
    Where did you find me? (just curious what makes people decide to make the click - is it the photo, the name, is it wordpress...) Anyway, have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seen you on weekend reflections

      Delete
  3. lovely photos....great reflection in that shiny table. But I have to say that the blue and red carpet in Cat Alley is a bit mind-blowing!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'd think it would all be a bit much with the garnet walls but it works.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Can be both a good or a bad thing..

      Delete
  5. I enjoyed your post and the view - and as a member of the "riffraff", I wouldn't have been let in either. And have been proud of it.
    Regarding the critics at the the photo club, don't forget that they often have their own agenda when it comes to criticizing. Some of them wants to show off in some way or other, others just don't know the basic rules for proper criticizing. I have some experience in this, and have had several photos "cut to pieces" that has since done very well in both national and international contests. So put that behind you. Find a critic (or several) that you trust and that have the same taste as you have and listen to them. Most important: Don't let them put you down - you are your own best judge and photography is for fun and finding your own personal style.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your wise words Rune. They mean a lot to me.

      Delete
  6. What a cool place! I like the views and the reflections!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks James, it still manages to be grand and kitsch at the same time.

      Delete
  7. Ach! Critics. Give them their day and move on. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Revrunner. I'm definitely doing just that.

      Delete
  8. Thank you for showing your great photos of the Hydro Majestic. I only heard about it since our last visit to the Blue Mtns, and now I want to go back and see it. What interesting decor! And of course, the views are incredible. I love your work, please keep sharing your pics. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Patricia. You should stay there, you would love the stylish retro charm, which it still has in spades!

      Delete
  9. These photos are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete